The Gamma Theta Chapter was founded at James Madison University in 1959. Over the following decades, the chapter flourished as friendships were formed and the bonds of sisterhood celebrated. The women of Phi Mu remained on campus through 1987 when the chapter closed.
In the fall of 2010, the Gamma Theta Chapter returned to the campus of James Madison. Over 130 women were initiated at the service that also signified the reestablishment of the chapter, a significant growth from Gamma Theta's past membership. Today, the Gamma Theta Chapter thrives at James Madison, as a well established sorority with more than 200 women within its bond.